Saturday, September 29, 2012

Thoughts on Life

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matthew 6:33 & 34

How true, how true.  As you can see if you look right, these verses are visible on my blog ever time someone looks at it.  These verses are special to me.  When I graduated college they were given to me, by my mentor, as a motto for life, so to speak.  She challenged me to view everything through the lens of seeking first the kingdom of God, act on what God is calling me to do, and then to not worry.

That sounds pretty simple.  But it's not.  I worry.  I worry about a lot.  I especially worry about money.  Part of that is that I am mennonite and I think God specifically created all mennonites to be cheap.  It's not what we are taught, it's in our DNA somehow.  So we could have a million dollars in the bank (we don't) and I would still worry about money.  Letting that go is hard, but I'm working on it - thanks to my french husband who is completely opposite of me!

I've titled this post Thoughts on Life.  It ties in with my previous post about life, but that may be hard to see right now.  You see, on wednesday there was the parliament vote.  I also attend a ladies Bible study every wednesday morning.  This last wednesday there was a prayer request that broke my heart.  It dealt with life and specifically the life of an unborn child.  With Dan & I looking at adoption and figuring out the beginning steps of this, my first thought was to automatically say "we''ll take this child".  I couldn't say that however, because Dan was not there and this isn't a situation we've really talked about!  Nor did I know enough about the situation to say anything!  So I didn't say anything and the above verses came to mind.  Not so much the kingdom of God part, but the do not worry about tomorrow part.

You see, even though international adoption can cost thousands, I've never, even though it's ingrained in my DNA, been worried about that aspect of it.  I figure if God has called us to this, He will provide the finances we need.  And yet wednesday I was all of the sudden worried about the whole adoption thing and how it would work out!  So the last couple of days I've been working on not worrying about tomorrow.  It's not easy.  My mind wants to live in the future apparently.  But it's a work in progress and one day, whether soon or when I'm dead, I'm pretty sure things will get easier.  And I'm pretty sure it won't be soon.

No comments: