Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Kids & Church

Why is it that kids are always relegated to junior church or sunday school during the morning service?  For a few months now we have been discussing the possibility of moving closer to town and therefore, probably moving churches as well.  Neither of these things is likely to happen tomorrow (and actually probably not for a few years) but most likely it will happen eventually.

In our current church there is Sunday school prior to the service and then clipboard activities that correspond to the sermon for kids ages 3 to 10.  Nursery is provided from infant to age 3 if you choose to use that option (which I do from about 10ish months until 2 1/2 ish).  I like the system.  I know it is hard to have young children in the service, but I like that my kids are hearing the same sermon that I am.  I like that I get to help them pay attention by working with them to get the correct answers to the questions on their sheets (well for my kid right now it's just coloring them, but someday we will get to answering those questions!).  Sure I may not get as much from the sermon as I would if they had junior church/sunday school then, but I am learning with them and they are seeing me learn.  That is important is it not?  Some mornings are definately more challenging than others, especially since my child is only just 3 and still not quite at the level to fully understand the clipboards.  But I still love that time I get to have with her in the service.

So I was looking at the other churches in our area, especially the ones we've talked about going to eventually, and all of them have the children leave during the service.  And I couldn't help but think that I would miss having my kids beside me.  Sunday school is a good thing.  Kids need to learn on their own level and at their own comprehension.  As hard as it is to get to church for Sunday school, I make that effort because I believe that those lessons are valuable to the kids.  But I love having my kids beside me during the whole service and I would definately miss them sitting beside me. 

I never really thought it was odd until I read this blog about parenting in the pew.  And then I got curious to see what other churches around our area did.  I guess our church is just unique this way because it's been this way for a long time and I just naturally thought that most other churches did Sunday School at a seperate time as well.  Only time will tell what we eventually decide to do, but this is one more thing that will make it a particularily difficult decision for me.

4 comments:

Paula said...

I agree..as hyper as my kids are I love having them beside me learning with me in church.

Faith and Mark said...

Are you still at GBF?

Okay now my opinion. I love having my kids with me in church. I also think it is important for the kids to both see us learning and to hear the same thing we are. However - I also think it is okay for them to be gone.
We run both Children's church (during the service) and Sunday School (before the service) It is your option as to if you want to send your kids to Children's church. For kids 8 and up they are in the service.
I chose to send my kids. Why?
Well because this mom of a ADHD child just need a break sometimes. My husband is working when we are at church so I am on duty. After a week of fighting with my kids and doing hand on with him so much I just really need a break. When he is with me in the service I get nothing out of the service as I am busy trying to keep hime quiet and under control. For any family who has kids with special need I totally think that giving them an opportunity to worship and learn in peace is an important and valid option. One that most people and church's don't consider.
Also, there are topics that are sometimes preached about, (sex before marriage and others), that I think need to be sometimes talked about in church. When my kids are with me that makes me uncomfortable as I don't think that they need to hear some of those things. (While sometimes adults and teenagers do need to hear some of those things.)
Anyways, that's my two cents. I like them with me. But I need the break sometimes so that I can actually learn too.

Unknown said...

Faith we are still at GBF yes. And we no longer run junior church because there was not enough interest or kids participating. I am ok with Junior church and kids leaving during the service, however the churches in the area that I mentioned all had Sunday School during the service, so it was an all or nothing type thing. It was either your kid stays with you for the entire service and never goes to Sunday school - which I have a problem with - or the kid goes to Sunday School and doesn't sit through an entire church service until age 13/14 or later - which I also have a problem with.

Special needs children do definately need to be considered, as well as those topics which are sensitive, and I am not against junior church, just against having the only childrens related things happen during the service.

Marcy Payne said...

Ok, I have a mixed opinion...or maybe not. currently, we have kids in the service and a children's feature (which is like a mini sermon for kids, teaching them the basic beliefs/stories) in the middle of the service. After this we offer nursery for young parents (ages 0-4) after which, we have the kids in the service. It does get loud sometimes, and there are many times I wish I could just not have to deal with kids (hyper, bored, ADD, whatever) by myself (or while I"m running AV or singing on the worship team, by myself. Richard helps when he can but he's preaching and that is a time when my kids get all antsy and disobedient. LOL! They are getting better and I LIKE having them with me because they are hearing important teaching. I like that we include kids a lot in our services and think that a church misses something if it totally segregates the ages. I think the young learn from the old (and how to be respectful and quiet during a service) and the old learn to have more grace (or take their complaining selves elsewhere)...just my 2 cents.