Friday, November 16, 2012

The Difference Perspective Makes

So last week I posted my goodbye to Viel baby #4.  This week I went for my checkup appointment to make sure the methotrexate is working as it should.  My levels have dropped by 26% and they wanted a 15% drop so things are working well and hopefully all will continue to work well.  But I must say, being in this doctor's office was a hard thing to do. 

The doctor who works on call for these types of situations is also the only doctor in our area who performs abortions.  She is a wonderful lady, very kind and soft-spoken, and definitely knows her stuff and was very sensitive to my situation.  However it was a very dark atmosphere in her office as compared to the two other obstetricians office's I have been to here.  The offices where I went for my pre-natal care with my girls (two different doctors) were both full of life and happiness with pictures of babies on the walls, children playing with the toys and smiling pregnant ladies who actually talked to each other in the office! 

This office was different.  There were no pictures of smiling babies on the walls, only stacks of factual medical information regarding pregnancy and women's health around the office.  Not one pregnant lady who walked into the office while I was there was smiling (this doctor also does regular pre-natal care and deliveries for those who need it) and there was no conversation happening between patients at all.  In fact my children were the only children in the office until right before I left, and I was there for over an hour! 

Part of that was due to the decor I'm sure, as the color palate of this doctors office was dark, but it was just not a happy place to be in and it made me hurt for those ladies who were there to end their baby's lives.  I have never been so anxious to leave a doctors office before!  After I had finally been taken to an exam room all I could do was sit and pray that the doctor would come soon so I could leave.  After being in that office I can all too well imagine the feeling of darkness that surrounds abortion clinics; the lack of hope, the lack of happiness, the lack of life.

3 comments:

Marcy Payne said...

I"m sorry you had this experience. I had to counsel a lady right after my tubal rupture who was, in the end, going to choose abortion. It was so hard. So very hard. She told me that the abortion clinics were some of the nicest people she's ever met. I haven't ever been to one, but I imagine they try to make it as happy as they can, abeit, I can't see them having baby pictures all over. Afterall, they are dealing in life and death and to make the death a little less like death they would have to be happy, loving and compassionate. Anyways, just my 2 cents. You know how prolife I am.

Unknown said...

I understand why there was no baby pictures on the walls because of exactly that reason Marcy, but the darkness that I felt was undeniable.

Marcy Payne said...

I imagine you were definitely sensitive to the darkness that was prevalent there. I know I would have been too. So sad. How are you doing now?